2009-08-26

gitolite -- managing multiple git repositories

[this article rated G (Geeks only), GG in some geographies (Git Geeks only)]

Well, after more than a year of using and championing gitosis, I finally got off my duff and created "gitolite".

It is certainly inspired by gitosis's basic ideas, but it lets you specify per-branch permissions -- which is a really big thing and something I am often asked about at work.  It's written entirely in perl (of course), and designed to be installed and used, without needing root access, on any Unix machine that managed to install git and perl.  And I think my config file format is much simpler than gitosis's, but maybe I'm prejudiced :-)

The README (nicely formatted, thanks to github) is at that same URL; just go down the page a little.

No comments: