Yes, gentle readers, we finally have a genuine swear word on this blog, not that namby-pamby "fsck" mis-spelling I trot out when I'm upset, so here goes...
The bastards at Microsoft have sunk to a new low.
If you're running Windows and have auto-update on, and you use firefox (because you know IE is full of holes), this is what you got some time ago:
- a firefox add-on you never asked for, from Microsoft, not from Mozilla
- which installs itself without asking, as part of Windows update
- and won't uninstall without forcing you to go into the registry editor
So -- if you installed firefox because it was more secure than IE -- MS has a plan to make sure FF is as fscked as IE is.
At least on Windows.
And please, for MS apologists: it doesn't matter *what* the fscking extension is actually doing. The fact that MS can
- install something onto a competing product
- without the user's permission, and
- (bonus) make it hard to uninstall without regedit
all adds up to an enormous amount of arrogance. You may have paid for your computer, but you don't actually own it -- they do.
Listen up guys, I've said this before and I'll say this again, loud and clear. AT LEAST ON YOUR HOME MACHINES, PLEASE INSTALL AND USE LINUX!! I'll help -- call me. I'll do anything to help people install and use it.
- http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/01/2143218 [this has other links within]