2010-03-21

99% approval rating for git

according to Martin Fowler anyway: http://martinfowler.com/bliki/VcsSurvey.html

The accompanying subjective article at http://martinfowler.com/bliki/VersionControlTools.html has more nuggets.

  - for all you VSS fans out there: "Before I finish with those behind the threshold, I just want to say a few things about a particularly awful tool: Visual Source Safe, or as I call it: Visual Source Shredder. We see this less often now, thank goodness, but if you are using it we'd strongly suggest you get off it. Now. Not just is it a pain to use, I've heard too many tales of repository corruption to trust it with anything more valuable than foo.txt."

  - the indictment of proprietary tools like clearcase and TFS: "I will, at least for the moment, leave it with the fact that developers I respect have worked extensively with, and do not recommend, these products."

  - on git: "Git certainly seems to be liked for its power. Folks go ga-ga over it's near-magical ability to do textual merges automatically and correctly, even in the face of file renames. I haven't seen any objective tests comparing merge capabilities, but the subjective opinion favors git."

  - and the best one: "Our view now is that msysgit is good enough to make comparison with Mercurial a non-issue for Windows."  Amen to that, buddy!

No comments: